The investigative reporting of the NY Times and the Washington Post of the Pentagon Papers led to the lawsuit NY Times Co. v. United States and eventually resulted in the landmark decision that made it possible for the newspapers to publish the classified documents without government censorship. This victory has made it possible for journalists throughout the US to investigate those in power and continue to act as watchdogs.
One investigative piece that has influenced my life is entitled "Violated: 'Broken' system fails elderly abuse victims" written by investigative reporter Brad Schrade of the Star Tribune. This story shows how federal records demonstrated that reports of abuse of elderly victims in Minnesota have fallen short. The article and it's proof of the neglect of Minnesota nursing homes has led to the closing of the Good Samaritan home, whose workers tormented and abused the residents.
This report influences me because I am from Minnesota. I have been to this nursing home and spoken to residents there in my past. I have relatives in homes such as the one in the story and it has opened my eyes about how few regualtions there are in the treatment of the residents. It is shocking to me the horror of their situation and I would not have known about this if it weren't for the investigation. This report has made the abused residents situation better, and will hopefully hold those responsible accountable.

No comments:
Post a Comment