In the United States, The First Amendment gives us the freedom of the press. Because of this, we are allowed to express ourselves through publication and dissemination. We have access to an extraordinary amount of information through journalism daily. Journalism plays an extremely important role in my life that I often take for granted and may not fully comprehend.
"The primary purpose of journalism is to provide citizens with the information they need to be free and self governing."
Journalism today is one of the only ways I can receive trustworthy information in order to educate myself. Information is everywhere and often overwhelming. I rely on journalism to know what is going on in the world around me. I rely on it to understand what is happening politically. I rely on it to know whether I should wear a sweater to school or not. I admit that I do not always keep up with world events, and that talk about politics may confuse me, and even that I sometimes don't pack an umbrella when I should. Nevertheless, I absolutely need journalism in order to be a free and sovereign citizen.
We can see a common theme in oppressed countries today. Countries like North Korea, China, and Syria, all have government controlled and censored journalism and media. Their citizens are subject to propaganda constantly. They are unable to govern themselves because they do not have access to a free press. (Although I am not saying this is the only reason.)
"Journalism is so fundamental to the purpose of democracy that societies that want to suppress freedom must first suppress the press."
Journalism allows me to be a free and self-governing citizen. And that's a pretty big deal.
Not only this, but journalism inspires me to fight for freedom. It spreads the word and provides the truth, which is at the sole of freedom in the United States. Journalism makes me stop and think. It inspires me to be an active member of my community and to try to leave it a little better because I am a part of it.
Journalism gives me a voice.

No comments:
Post a Comment